2019 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION and GUIDELINES
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Rho Mu Omega Chapter in conjunction with DC Pearls III Foundation, Inc. annually awards college scholarships to assist Washington, D.C. high school graduates to continue their education at a Historically Black College or University (HBCU). A minimum of five (5) scholarships will be awarded to five students who will be matriculating at a Historical Black College or University (HBCU) beginning the fall of 2019.
Scholarships will be awarded to students who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership skills, and community service. Applicants must meet the general eligibility requirements and qualifications of the individual scholarship for which they apply. Applicants may apply for as many scholarships offered, but can only be awarded one scholarship.
SCHOLARSHIP GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The applicant must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Applicant must be a U. S. Citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States of America, and a District of Columbia resident.
- Applicant must be accepted and attend a Historically Black College or University in Fall 2019 as a freshman and take classes on campus, for the entire year beginning the fall semester of 2019.
- Applicant must be a high school graduating senior who lives and attends a public, private or charter school in the District of Columbia and will graduate between May 2019 and August 2019. Applicants must have a minimum high school a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or better based on a 4.0 scale. and have taken either the ACT or SAT Examination.
- Demonstrate academic achievement.
- Demonstrate volunteer commitment of time to support the community and leadership skills.
Applications will not be considered without ALL of the following:
- Completed application available at rhomuomega.org or dcpearlsiii.org.
- All applications and required attachments must be uploaded as one file under the applicant name (i.e. Your name 2019 Scholarship Application).
- Copy of the applicant’s most recent transcript must be uploaded with the applicant’s application file and must visually show the school’s stamps/seal and the wording official.
- Certification of Secondary School Credits Packet from your school counselor - must be uploaded with the applicant’s application file. Click Here to download a copy of this form.
- Submission of a personal statement. 500 words maximum -Times New Roman, double-spaced, 12pt font
- Submission of an essay on the supplied scholarship topic.
- Submission of two (2) letters of recommendation. Letters must be from someone very familiar with the applicant academically and personally. One from a school administrator or teacher. Should not be the school counselor. One from a community member, mentor, or church pastor. Note: Must be uploaded with the applicant’s application file. All recommendation letters must be on the letterhead and signed by the recommender.
- Copy of the Applicant’s FAFSA Form- all pages (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Must be uploaded with the applicant’s application file.
- Applicant photo (wallet size)
All required documents must be uploaded or received together, in one file, and submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST.
2019 DESCRIPTION OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Rho Mu Omega Chapter in conjunction with DC Pearls III Foundation, Inc. will award the following:
- Angela Ducker Richardson Memorial Scholarship ($1000) will be awarded to a student matriculating to an HBCU and majoring in Health and Science.
- Presidential Scholarship ($3000) will be awarded to a student matriculating to an HBCU and who demonstrates a significant history of leadership and volunteer service activities.
- General Scholarship ($3000) * will be awarded to a student matriculating to an HBCU and who demonstrates academic excellence or potential, leadership skills, and community.
- Linda Latney Scholarship ($3000) * will be awarded to a student matriculating to an HBCU and who demonstrates academic excellence, leadership skills, and community service. This scholarship is only available to students attending Eastern High School, Washington DC.
- Science, Technology, Engineering and mathematics (STEM) Scholarship ($3000) * will be awarded to a student matriculating to an HBCU and who demonstrates achievement in STEM activities.
*The General, Linda Latney, and STEM scholarships require no specific major.
Two additional scholarships will be awarded. No additional information or submissions are required. Winners are chosen from submitted applications. See descriptions below.
Extraordinary Sensational Performer (ESP) Book Award - The ESP Book Award Scholarship, provides one student with supplemental funds to purchase books and other supplies needed for college-level coursework. The 33 ESP Book Award is funded by donations from members of 33 ESP. As a result, the amount may vary year to year from $250 to $500.
The Ebony Mix/Lydia Hallam’s Memorial Scholarship - Ebony Mix/Lydia Hallam’s Memorial Scholarship is an additional scholarship with a minimum amount of $500, and is awarded to the scholarship applicant with the highest GPA.
Scholarship Recipients Selection and Announcements
Rho Mu Omega and DC Pearls III Foundation have established a Scholarship Committee to ensure the impartial and confidential evaluation of applications. Selections are based on financial need, academic record, school/ community activities, and leadership. The scholarship recipient’s school will be notified by telephone/email on or before April 30, 2019. All decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final and are not subject to appeal. A representative from our organization may be available to present the scholarship award to the recipient at their school’s awards program or graduation.
Description of Funds
The General, Linda Latney, STEM, and Presidential scholarship recipients will each receive a one-time $3,000 scholarship to be used at the student’s discretion. The recipient may be eligible for up to $1,000 scholarship renewal for an additional three (3) years, based on the availability of funds. (amount TBD at the time of distribution) To be eligible for a renewal scholarship, students must submit a request in writing. Renewal requests must be submitted by July 1st of each school year, with proof of a continuous 3.0 cumulative grade point average. The Angela Ducker Richardson Memorial Scholarship is not renewable.
Responsibilities of Recipients
The recipient must be actively enrolled full-time as a freshman in Fall 2019 and for the full academic year without interruption, barring long-term illness, emergency, or military service. Recipients are responsible for providing proof of enrollment from their respective college, university or post-secondary educational institution’s Registrar’s Office. Proof of enrollment should be sent to the address provided on your awards letter and should come for the school’s registrar’s office.
Disbursement of Funds
Funds are provided by DC Pearls III Foundation. All scholarship checks are contingent upon the DC Pearls III Foundation’s receipt of the “Official Verification of Enrollment”. This verification must be submitted after the student arrivals and has registered for Fall classes beginning in August or September 2019, and/or verification that the student has met all the requirements for renewal. Payments are issued by DC Pearls III Foundation and checks are made payable to the recipient and mailed to the address provided by the student on their request form, unless otherwise specified on the students request for renewal funds correspondence.
How to Apply
All application packets and supporting documentation must be submitted together (Uploaded at one time as one folder) submitted no later than Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:59 pm EST. Late/Incomplete application packets will not be considered or reviewed.
Procedure for Applying
- Complete the scholarship application
- Signatures of applicant and parents/guardian, if the applicant is under 21 years of age a parent or guardian must sign.
- Request your Guidance Counselor to complete the “Certification of Secondary Credit” form. Have your counselor return the completed form to you to include in your application packet.
- Complete each question requested on the scholarship application below.
Read each scholarship description and sure you answer the question associated with that scholarship.
- Complete and submit with the application form all required supporting documents.
- Adhere to the required deadline date. Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:59 PM EST
Completed online application packet should be uploaded and submitted online or sent electronically in one file to: Scholarship@rhomuomega.org
Subject line: "Your Name, 2019 Scholarship Application"
For additional information or questions, email to: Scholarship@rhomuomega.org
Subject line: "HBCU Scholarship Question"
Joyce Nixon, Scholarship Chairman
Monica Prince Whiting, Scholarship Co-Chairman
Rho Mu Omega Chapter