The National Business Education Association (NBEA), a premier non-profit 501(c)(3) professional organization located in Reston, Virginia, is seeking a dynamic and visionary Executive Director experienced in expanding organizational capacity and overseeing successful business operations. The NBEA Executive Director serves as the chief administrative officer for the association.
Reporting directly to the NBEA Executive Board, the Executive Director will steward the growth and development of the national organization in working with the established consortium of NBEA divisions (business teacher education and research, international, and honor society) and affiliated regional and state associations that support secondary and postsecondary business education programs that prepare students for and about business.
The Executive Director will lead the national office to continually position the organization as the premier professional association for and about business. In addition, the Executive Director will have the opportunity to:
- form new strategic partnerships,
- drive the creation of new initiatives to grow and support membership,
- provide motivating hands-on staff management and training to the national staff,
- lead organization-wide strategic marketing, and
- perform other important initiatives.
This exciting and rewarding position will require travel to meetings, events, and regional/national conventions.
Experienced executive director candidates who are passionate and visionary and have prior experience in convention management, member services, and educational programming are highly encouraged to apply.
Requirements for the Executive Director of the National Business Education Association include the following:
- Master’s degree is required; doctorate is preferred.
- Minimum of five years of leadership experience preferably at a nonprofit organization, membership organization, educational institution, and/or related for-profit entity.
- Passion for business education.
- Ability to market the organization for growth and sustainability.
- Prior experience working with nonprofit boards.
- Ability to bring diverse groups of people together and build strong relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communications, public speaking, and technology skills.
- Attentive to detail, strong problem-solving skills, and a collaborative leadership approach.
- Possess a visionary, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong staff management experience.
- Experience in convention planning and management.
- Experience with financial oversight, budget creation, investment management, and contract negotiations.
- Knowledge and interest in legislative issues that impact business education.
- Ability to be hands-on and work with a servant leadership model.
RESPONSIBILITIES BY AREA
Organizational Leadership and Management
Work to maintain NBEA’s position as the nation's leading professional organization for and about business education.
- Lead the organization in a manner that supports and guides NBEA’s mission and vision statements.
- Participate in the strategic planning process working closely with the Executive Board and committees.
- Identify trends and issues impacting business education.
- Provide professional leadership to advance and improve business
- Oversee and manage all business, building, and personnel operations.
- Execute contracts on behalf of NBEA subject to the direction of the Executive Board.
- Improve the technology capacity of the organization to advance organizational processes and efficiency.
- Represent NBEA at meetings of related groups and organizations (i.e., Trust for Insuring Educators, financial education associations).
Board Governance and Reporting
- Provide leadership and support to the Executive Board and all entities of NBEA.
- Serve as an ex officio, non-voting member of all entities as directed by the NBEA Bylaws.
- Meet with, update, and inform the Executive Committee and Executive Board on current work and organizational progress.
- Communicate strategic vision for identified opportunities to the board.
- Balance the needs of the board, officers, divisions, regions, and members in consensus building and buy in.
- Advise the board on prospective opportunities and communicate strategic plans to staff; regional, divisional, and state leaders; and members.
Membership and Member Benefits
- Direct membership recruitment and services to meet organizational goals.
- Develop, improve, and oversee membership benefits.
- Oversee and serve as publisher for all publications issued and/or produced by NBEA.
- Direct the planning and operation of the annual NBEA convention.
- Monitor legislative initiatives related to business education and make recommendations for action to NBEA entities.
- Monitor board approved budget and manage daily financial operations to ensure maximum utilization of resources and optimum financial positioning for the organization.
- Administer the collection, disbursement, and reporting of all NBEA funds, in adherence with accounting procedures established by the auditor, secretary-treasurer, and the Finance/Audit Committee (the executive director shall be bonded).
- Develop and present annual budget to the Executive Board for approval.
- Prepare financial records and reports of the association (in consultation with the secretary-treasurer).
- Administer and oversee, in cooperation with the secretary-treasurer, all NBEA investments.
- Negotiate and execute contracts on behalf of the association.
- Analyze data and provide growth plans to overcome organizational challenges.
- Develop fiscal plans, grants, membership, business partnerships, and other aspects of revenue generation.
Marketing and Communication
- Provide conceptual oversight for public relations, websites, marketing, social media, etc.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies that strengthen, build, and promote NBEA’s vision, programs, and work.
- Network effectively with other professionals, organizations, institutions, and agencies to increase visibility and build membership.
- Lead a review and rebranding of the organizations national marketing, web brand/functions, and print/online publications.
- Represent NBEA at public and professional events.
- Provide members with information on proposed matters related to programs and services offered.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
For immediate consideration, please complete the online application by proceeding to the next page. The application form includes questions to which you must respond in narrative form. In addition, upload your resume (include three to five references with complete contact information) and cover letter via this online application. Direct any questions to Margaret Blue, NBEA President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications and inquiries will remain confidential unless the candidate is informed otherwise in advance.
NBEA is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To submit your application, proceed to the next page